Skip to main content

Information for tenants of new social housing lettings or sales

Privacy Notice for tenants/buyers of new social housing tenancies/sales

How are we using your information?

If your household has entered a new social housing tenancy, social housing providers will share your personal information with the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government for research and statistical purposes.

How is this information provided?

The information is provided via CORE (COntinuous REcording), a website funded and managed by MHCLG. It collects information on the tenants/buyers, tenancy/sale and dwelling itself. Some of this information is personal and sensitive so MHCLG is responsible for ensuring that all data is processed in line with Data Protection legislation.

Why are we sharing this information?

Information collected via CORE is shared with other Government Departments and Agencies. Data is shared with the Greater London Authority and the Homes and Communities Agency. CORE data providers can also access data for their organisations via the CORE system. Data is only shared for research and statistical purposes.

How does this affect you?

It will not affect your benefits, services or treatments that you get. The information shared is anonymous and handled with care in accordance with the law. We are collecting and sharing your information to help us understand better the social housing market and inform social housing policy.

If you want to know more...

CORE Data is collected on behalf of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) for research and statistical purposes only. Data providers do not require the consent of tenants to provide the information but tenants have the right to know how and for what purpose your data is being collected, held and use. The processing must have a lawful basis which, in this case, is that the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest to meet a function of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department.

You have the right to object and you have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed, and to access your personal data. You also have the right to have any incorrect personal data corrected.

The information collected via CORE relates to your tenancy, the dwelling you are living in or buying, and your household. Some of the information may have been provided by you as a tenant when signing the new tenancy or buying your property; other has been gathered from the housing management systems of social housing providers. Data collected will be held for as long as necessary for research and statistical purposes. When no longer needed, data will be destroyed in a safe manner.

We are aware that some of the data collected is particularly sensitive: ethnic group; previous tenure in hospital or prison/approved probation hostel support; if household left last settled home because discharged from prison/ long stay hospital/ other institution; or if source of referral is probation/ prison, youth offending team, community mental health team or health service. Please rest assured that all the information collected via CORE is treated in accordance with Data Protection requirements and guidelines.

Data is published by MHCLG in aggregate form on an annual basis as part of a report and complementary tables. To access the annual publications on lettings please visit; To see the publications on sales please visit

CORE data is shared with other public sector bodies for research and statistical purposes only. For example, data is shared with Homes and Communities Agency and the Greater London Authority to allow them to exercise their role in providing adequate social housing. The detail level data is anonymised and protected to minimise the risk of identification and deposited with the UK Data Archive for research purposes.

If you are unhappy with how any aspect of this privacy notice, or how your personal information is being processed, please contact Department Data Protection Officer at: and if you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO):