Skip to main content

Anti-social Behaviour

Sometimes anti-social behaviour such as noise can happen because the person responsible is not aware that their behaviour is causing a problem.

We also understand that the noise of everyday living can be annoying but, unless it is excessive or unreasonable, we would not consider it to be anti-social.

Some examples of this would be:

  • Noise generated by everyday living, eg walking across laminate flooring in shoes, DIY, housework or garden maintenance at reasonable times
  • Cooking smells
  • Children playing in or around the locality of their homes, or in a designated play area
  • One off celebrations, eg a birthday party
  • Parking disagreements
  • Gossip or social media posts
  • Disputes with neighbours

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • excessive noise nuisance
  • verbal abuse
  • damage to property, including graffiti and vandalism
  • assault or physical violence
  • drug dealing and use
  • hate crime, including racist or homophobic abuse
  • fly tipping

We always recommend that you try to resolve any issues with your neighbours by talking to them first of all, to see if the matter can be solved quickly and easily.

However, you have the right to peaceful enjoyment of your home and we will not tolerate incidents of serious disturbances, intimidation or abuse of any kind by anyone in our homes or neighbourhoods.

Reporting anti-social behaviour

If you are experiencing ASB, you do not have to suffer in silence. You can report incidents of ASB directly to Community Housing either by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 0300 003 5454 or by completing an ASB report form.

You can also scan this QR Code.

QR Code for ASB reporting form.

When you have been in touch, your Neighbourhood Coordinator or a Tenancy Enforcement Officer will contact you within 3 working days, or 1 working day if the report is a serious incident, such as domestic abuse or a hate crime. They will provide you with advice on what action can be taken and support you with any next steps

You will find more details about our approach to anti-social behaviour in our Community Safety Policy.

Always try to keep a record of when the incidents are happening, but if you feel at risk at any time, dial the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

You can help us prevent and tackle anti-social behaviour by:

  • Following the advice given in our Good Neighbour Guide
  • Being aware of, and keeping to, the conditions of your Tenancy Agreement
  • Not causing, or letting your family or visitors cause anti-social behaviour
  • Reporting any anti-social behaviour you witness to us, along with any reports you make to the police
  • Taking responsibility for minor disagreements with your neighbours by trying to sort out problems in a reasonable way
  • Respecting other people's right to their chosen lifestyle - as long as this does not impact your quality of life
  • Helping us gather evidence if we need to take formal action and, if necessary, acting as a witness in court.

If you are a victim harassment, violence or intimidation, you should report this directly to the police as soon as possible. If the people causing the ASB are tenants of Community Housing, or their visitors, you must also report this to us.

Dealing with anti-social behaviour

We work closely with the police to reduce incidents of nuisance and anti-social behaviour in our neighbourhoods. We encourage residents to report all criminal activity to Community Housing and the police so that we can work together to deal effectively with problems.

What we will do

We take all reports of ASB very seriously and to investigate thoroughly we need evidence. We are likely to ask you to record details of any ongoing anti-social behaviour, how long it lasts and who is doing it.

To help you to do this your Neighbourhood Coordinator may ask you to use our ASB App. You can use this to monitor and report incidents of ASB to us as they happen. Your neighbourhood coordinator will help you to set up the App and show you how to use it. If you have any difficulties using the ASB App or do not have access to the internet or a mobile device, we have other ways to help you gather evidence.

When you report ASB to us your neighbourhood coordinator with contact you to discuss your complaint, explain what action we are able to take and agree a plan of action with you, including how and when we will keep you informed. If we cannot take any further action, we will explain the reasons why.

Your neighbourhood coordinator will investigate your complaint and may speak to the person that you are making the report against. We will always keep your identity confidential but in some circumstances, it can be obvious where the report has come from. For example, if you complain about loud music from your next-door neighbour, they might have a good idea who has complained about them. We will inform the person that you are complaining about what we will do if the ASB continues.

If the ASB does continue or become more serious, your case may be transferred to our tenancy enforcement coordinators. They will consider the legal and non-legal remedies that are available to us, such as mediation, acceptable behaviour contracts, injunctions and possession proceedings. We will only be able to take legal action if there is substantial evidence to present to the court and we may ask you to attend court to give evidence. We will support you to do this.

We cannot tackle complex ASB on our own, so we work closely with other agencies such as the police, environmental health, social services, community mental health teams and other voluntary agencies to reduce incidents of nuisance and ASB in our neighbourhoods and to support customers who are experiencing ASB


Safeguarding means reducing the risk and preventing harm occurring to children and adults in vulnerable situations. You can use the confidential Concern phone line (answerphone message) on 01562 732383 or speak to your Neighbourhood Coordinator on 0300 003 5454.


This is where tenants keep debris, rubbish, empty boxes, cans, stacks of newspapers and other items in bulk in their home. This not only can endanger themselves but also other tenants as it can be a health and safety hazard, particularly if flammable materials are kept in large quantities. The danger of hoarding could also severely restrict access for the emergency services in the event of an incident and encourage the spread of fires.

We work closely with the Fire Service in cases where we believe that the conduct constitutes hoarding. We will take whatever steps necessary to help overcome this behaviour and ensure the safety and wellbeing of all residents. If you are struggling with the build up of items within your property, please speak to your Neighbourhood Coordinator about how we can help you manage this issue.

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse can affect you, your partner your children, your partner's children or any other person living in your home.

The UK government's definition of domestic abuse is 'any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to psychological, physical, sexual, financial and emotional'

Hate Crime

If you have been bullied, assaulted, harassed or verbally abused because you are different, then you may have been a victim of hate crime.

We know that hate crimes and incidents can have a serious impact on victims and their quality of life. It has a negative impact on the communities in which we live. We are committed to stamping out all incidents and crimes motivated by prejudice and hate. Victims will always be treated professionally and sympathetically by our staff.

What is hate crime?

For information about what a hate crime is, visit the Gov.UK website.

If you are a tenant of Community Housing and are suffering from domestic abuse or a hate crime please call us on 0300 003 5454 and we will signpost you to agencies who can help.

If you are in immediate danger you should call the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.